- Reduces detrimental effects of long-term inflammation.
- Helps body use calcium in bones.
- Major immune system protector helping “fight” infections, autoimmune diseases and allergies.
- Needs zinc to deliver its message to the gene (genomic signaling).
- Also delivers signals without genes (non-genomic signaling)
- Protects against pathogens like viruses.
Mini Rev Med Chem. 2015;15(11):953-63. Cellular Immunology Laboratory, Division of Cell Biology, Center for Basic Research, Biomedical Research Foundation of the Academy of Athens, Athens, Greece