Solvents are nasty and pretty much everywhere. At home. At work.
The chemicals – benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene – are ubiquitous.
I warned about them in Hormone Deception 15 years ago.Today in Environmental Health News they have been officially dubbed endocrine disruptors, even at the “every day low levels” we are ALL exposed to. Especially at HOME.
HOME is not just where the HEARTH is – but where the SOLVENTS are.
Many health problems like asthma, low birth weights, faulty sperm and infertility, heart disease, preterm births, liver and kidney disease, and even cancer – can be rooted in early disruptions to the developing endocrine system especially “in the womb” caused by “normal” levels of these chemicals found in pregnant moms and even “preconception mom and dads.”
The four chemicals mentioned above are retrieved from the wellheads during crude oil and natural gas extraction and, after refining, are used as gasoline additives and in a WIDE variety of consumer products such as adhesives, detergents, degreasers, dyes, pesticides, polishes and solvents.
Ethylbenzene is the 6th most common chemical used in CHILDREN’S products.
Toluene is the 7th most common chemical used in many products that many of us BUY DAILY.
In several of the monitoring studies, such as the EPA 10-year TEAM studies, levels of the chemicals were higher in INDOOR air than in OUTDOOR air!
MOST of our exposure comes from HOME.
So, in Hormone Deception (which you can get at drlindseyberkson.com and learn other easy ways to reduce exposure) I say ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
- Open windows, even in winter, a few inches, here and there throughout the house.
- Keep garage door open for 10 minutes so benzene goes OUT not IN. It’s linked to BREAST CANCER and it is found within minutes in your master bedroom (how does this stuff track throughout the house) by ‘tracking’ research from Cornell!
- Whole house AIR filters are MORE important than water filters. Air is moment to moment exposure. Much of indoor air is poorly circulated. And toxic. Especially the bathroom after all the make-up and lotions have been put on.
- Ventilate the bathroom. If not a home filter, have one in there. And use green products as much as possible.
Environmental Health News April 15, 2015
– Damage to nervous system include n-hexane, perchloroethylene, and n-butyl mercaptan.
– Damage to liver or kidney damage include toluene, and carbon tetrachloride, (4) 1,1,2-2-tetrachloroethane, chloroform.
– Damage to reproductive hazards include 2-methoxyethanol, 2-ethoxyethanol, and methyl chloride, among others.
– Carcinogens known or suspected are carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene, 1,1,2,2-tetrachloroethane, perchloroethylene, perchloroethylene, methylene chloride and others. –OSHA ARCHIVE
Take action. Be safe.
And there you have it.