Moving keeps you living younger longer.
I write books so this is challenging for me, too. I can’t think at my stand-up workstations like I can sitting on my bootie. But moving keeps you going; actually, new research proves it keeps you living longer and dying less prematurely.
Minutes of moving, adds on years!
Most people, as they age, move less. Today, even younger men and women in their 20’s and 30’s, can be velcroed to their chairs, computers and work stations.
New amazing study!
3,000 people (50 to 79-years old) had activity trackers put on them (called “accelerometers” – sounds Star Trekian!). How much they moved was literally identified for a week. Then they were followed for 8 years to see who and when they died (their mortality was tracked!)
The least active folks died younger (3Xs more prematurely) than the most active ones.
Folks lived longer just by:
Adding 10 minutes per day of light activity.
Or replacing 30 minutes of sedentary time with light or moderate-to-vigorous physical activity produced even better results.
10-Easy Examples To Add Motion To Your Day: MAKE HABITS! Minutes count!
- I have a home track (it doesn’t have to be the gym). I walk in a circle around and through my dining room and kitchen. Get up and walk around a track you plot out in either you office or your home for 5 minutes with 30 seconds of walking up and down in place as fast as you can, and do this at least twice a day and boom, you have added in 10 minutes!
- Bounce up and down as you brush your teeth and make this a habit and boom, you have added in more motion.
- Get a coffee grinder and as you grind your coffee, jiggle, wiggle and dance. This can add in several minutes a day.
- Go out dancing, or put on your favorite music and dance around the house. Dancing to one song in the morning and one in the evening adds in 6 minutes of fun movement, right there.
- Start a woman’s walking group and afterward go for coffee (that way you move, and when women meet and hang and laugh they make more progesterone which protects their breasts from breast cancer and gives you deeper sleep and better cognition)
- While sitting at work, once an hour set the timer on your computer and stand up and sit down in place 15 times, this gets your heart, gut, and legs going and clocks in some serious but fun moving minutes.
- Walking from your car to a store, alternate walking 5 steps, then speed walking 5 steps, and go around the parking lot before you go in to shop. These clocks in about 5 minutes or longer and boom, there is more “youth”ening motion.
- Every time you go to the bathroom, march up and down in place 10 times, this clocks in some minutes for sure and if you use the bathroom ritual, you won’t forget.
- Go to a gym and get a trainer for 6 weeks to set the habit.
- Find a younger boy friend and make hot sensuous calorie burning love regularly. This is exercise but at the end if the big “O”.
This life saving info comes from some prestigious players looking at how we might stay well longer: University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University, the National Cancer Institute, the National Institute on Aging and more.
Ezra I. Fishman, Jeremy A. Steeves, Vadim Zipunnikov, Annemarie Koster, David Berrigan, Tamara A. Harris, Rachel Murphy. Association between Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Mortality in NHANES. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 2016; 1 DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000885